Friday, August 14, 2009

Naps - whew!

It's the first Friday of my first week home as a mom w/ 2 kiddos. I shouldn't be too overwhelmed since Chris got home around 3:15 every day this week, and my mom took Forrest yesterday so I could do some necessary errands with Skye. But man I'm whooped. I didn't realize how much I relied on that mid-morning break to give me the stamina I needed to get through the rest of the day. Oh well, I'll buck up, it just may take some time.

So I think sibling jealously has finally reared it's head, in both directions! I usually put Skye down for the afternoon nap first, and then put Forrest down. Mainly b/c Skye screams so much when you leave the room, and so loudly that he wakes up Forrest. Today, as well as yesterday, Forrest was tooling around while I was giving Skye his bottle when suddenly he realized that someone else was getting all the mama attention, not him. So he crawled over to the chair, grabbed Skye's foot, pulled himself up and yelled at us. I had to laugh, even though he was so upset, because he looked so betrayed. Skye just kept sucking on the bottle ignoring him, and I just had to make sure he didn't give Forrest a boot the face, since Forrest was hanging off his leg. We finally finished, I hugged and kissed Skye and put him in the crib. We left as he was reaching his arms out to me, screaming loudly. I would be more concerned if the screaming didn't stop immediately when you picked him up. Does it suck? Yeah.

We got the greatest toy today, that is going to get hours and hours of play. I bought a water & sand table. Forrest is addicted to water, he will seek out a water source like a deveining stick. We can't put the dog water on the floor, for fear Forrest will take a swim. So the table is about 5 feet long, 3 feet wide, and had a divider in the middle for water on one side, sand on the other. I decided that right now we'll just put water in it and let the heathens go. Holy moly, Skye played in that thing for almost 90 minutes. Splashing, putting the water from one side to another, dipping his goldfish crackers in it before eating them. Forrest woke from his nap and got down to business. He stood for close to an hour splashing, giggling. throwing stuff around. I think I've got a winner here. Of course they were freezing when they came in, but they didn't notice.

After lunch I put on the Crystal Method - some techno crap - and boogied with the boys. Skye does this hysterical little bobbing dance, Forrest swings an arm in the air. It got everybody good and warmed up and tired for those naps. I keep needing to find creative ways to entertain these kids. TV is not an option. I tried Plaza de Sesamo today, bit failure. Skye has NO interest in it. I got some reaction out of the Wiggles yesterday - help me! - but not much. I do worry that Skye is pretty delayed and wish he would be willing to watch sesame street. He is unable to identify 1 color, number, or letter. Not so worried about the numbers or letters, but colors is a bit distressing. We work it, and he's starting to look at books, you'd think they were going to kill him the way he howls sometimes when we pull them out. Not surprised that he's so far behind, I don't think there was any sort of intellectual stimulus at the last house - except running like a banshee with the brothers.

I can't believe that Forrest is going to be 1 in about 7 weeks. Wow! A year ago I was huge and wanting this kid out of me, now I have 2 running around my house. Amazing what 52 weeks can bring. I miss my job, no doubt about it, and will look forward to going back to work next year. But as it stands I am getting the best of both worlds. 2 years home with my little F-dude and a year home with my guy Skye - and getting paid to boot! I will be glad though when I finally can start filing for unemployment, it will help us pay off that trip to Guatemala.

No comments: