Monday, August 3, 2009

each day a new gift





Today was the best day yet. Hopefully each day I'll write that until each day we are working as one family. Skye starts the day out slowly, still trying to remember who I am, but eventually gets there. He has decided that Forrest is his "mamo", because he can't quite say hermano. It's totally cute. Today we asked him at lunch what his hermano says, and he scrunched up his face and screeched in an almost perfect mimic of Forrest. Chris and I just cracked up. Forrest is very serious right now when Skye is around. He's not quite sure who he is and why he is always here and taking away my attention. I think when Skye freaks out is scares him a bit, so he's a bit wary. But Skye is trying. We explained comparatir today to him, and showed him how to share. He now bring toys to Forrest and doesn't always screech when Forrest takes one of his away. It's amazing what just a few days has done for this little boy.

I think a part of my heart is very protected right now about his past. If I think too much about what he's been through it just hurts. Today when I was giving him a bottle before he took his nap he snuggled into me, like a little baby, looked up at me with those big brown eyes and said mama. It was the sweetest thing ever. He still struggles when he sees Chris and I showing affection to each other. He's moved through the "I hate Forrest" stage, we hope, but he really struggles with us. Hopefully he'll figure it out soon. But we keep moving forward.

Forrest and I had a great walk this morning with Riley. He's so funny. He just sung and jabbered the whole time. He's such an early morning bird, I feel so lucky when we are out and about to have such a sweet little boy. He is not super stoked on the addition to our family, but he's such a resilient little dude that I don't worry much about him. I knew I woudl struggle with Forrest feeling left out or "ignored" but I also know that we have raised such a strong, sweet, easy going little guy that in a short while it will be as though Skye is always here.

Bugs have been poisoned. Laundry has been done, ad nauseum. And we move on.

No comments: