Saturday, August 8, 2009

morning with family

Skye had such a great morning today. We went to Poekoelan camp for about 90 minutes so my friends and teammates could meet him. He was a super star. Very overwhelmed, but able to play ball with people, from the safety of my lap. My friend who has 2 children with attachment disorders took one look at Skye and basically said "you have nothing to worry about regarding attachment." It made me feel better. It was very good for us to be around people and see how he reacted. The concern would be if he ran up to anyone. We are not 100% out of the woods, but it was so nice to be his go to person.

After getting totally overwhelmed, not really but there were a lot of big heads staring at him, we ran around on the Reed campus. He got to blow dandelions for the first time, and looked at me totally with such wonder. Sometimes I forget the beautiful innocence of childhood. To see things for the first time. It's truly a gift to be able to see your own childhood through the eyes of your child. We found an electric box, or something like that, that was a big old cement pit with metal covers that we jumped up and down on, making a ton of noise. He picked flowers, threw sticks and then got to kick balls around in the gym. When we came home, after lunch, he ran around the house playing ball with me and Chris and throwing himself on the floor in peals of giggles after beaning Chris with the ball. One look and you'd never know the trauma he's been through. He was just a 2 year old boy playing with his parents. I feel like the luckiest mom in the world.

Forrest was a HOOT last night in the bath. He's been a bit subdued as he figures out his new family configuration, and we think is starting to cut his top teeth. Something got into him and he started splashing like a little dolphin and crawling around in circles. He laughed and laughed, splashed and crawled. Chris, Skye and I laughed right along with him. When he starts these crazy fits, he becomes so much more accessible to Skye. He will allow Forrest to touch him - normally this causes a shreik of anger - and will play with him. They were just like little brothers having a bath.

What an amazing journey we are on. A week ago I was sitting in my neighbors yard talking to my neighbor Amy and crying my eyes out and today we went to camp where there were easily 75 people around, and he just ran with it. Monday is the next real test of my fortitude and ability, Chris goes back to work. Luckily he is only working 5 hours at work, and 3 hours at home, so I'll have some back up for the rest of August. Still trying to figure out how I'll do naps solo, but I know other mom's do it, so I can as well.

We are blessed, that is all I think lately. Blessed that our son Skye is such a beautiful, sweet, strong resilient little boy. Blessed that our son Forrest is such an easy going, sweet, unflappable little dude. Blessed in having such an amazing community around us who are taking care of us, and a family (who is our community as well!) who are rocks we can lean on.

As a side, totally not baby related, I just need to give acknowledgement of my dear friend Karin. She is currently living in London and is in the process of reshaping with liver cancer. My teacher, her sister, is there with her as are other pendekkars as well. She is such a vibrant being, and an important part of my life. I can only intend that when the time is right she reshapes quickly and painlessly. I will miss her tremendously.

No comments: