Sunday, August 2, 2009

Adoption - the gift that keeps on giving...

Today was a much better day for everyone, although we did realize that we brought some extra visitors home from Guatemala. I slept upstairs with the "boys" last night and Skye was unbearable to sleep with. He was so agitated from about 1:00 - 5:00, tossing and turning, sitting up and then I realized itching his back incessantly. Oh joy, we've got SCABIES! Ewwww! Yes we've dealt with them before, but it still grosses me out. So after a joyful exploration of the providence health system on a Sunday morning, we finally got the doctor to prescribe the medicine we all need without having to drag poor Skye into the urgent care on a Sunday morning. So tonight we all get to get greasy with the lovely insecticide. Tomorrow laundry, cleaning and getting rid of the rest of the damn bugs. Luckily we know the drill so we just do it. Hopefully Forrest doesn't have them because we are not going to treat him. I have faith he's fine.

Forrest has been doing the funniest thing. He likes to take the cookie out of a wood puzzle that we have and give it to Riley. It's beyond funny. He idolizes his brother, but is also wary of him. Skye's 2 year old fits scare him. We had a moment today when Forrest took Skye's ball, and Skye just melted down, Forrest took one look at him and started to cry as well. Chris and I looked at each other in wonder and chuckled trying to figure out who to grab. At least we thought it was funny.

I know we have many rough days ahead of us, but I'll take a day like today any day. Skye was so funny and sweet, even sharing toys with Forrest. He still refuses to eat anything but fruit and bread, but hey I could live off of that as well. I need more of my mom's gazpacho, he loved that. As long as I can remember that he's only 2 and trying to figure it all out, we'll be fine. I will say though that my brain is tired from speaking Spanish all day to Skye and then switching to English with bug. We are starting to add more English into the daily language with Skye. After the "pool party" with Forrest (in our backyard, photos tomorrow I swear!), he and I walked back inside and he pointed at a ton of things and asked their names, it was hysterical to hear him try and say umbrella. But he's trying and that's all we can ask for.

We all went to the playground this morning and had some fun. Everyone was starting to get cranky, as we've pretty much all been in this house since the airport on Wednesday. Amazing what getting outside and changing the energy can do. Until tomorrow, I hope all my friends and family are doing well. We love you all and your support means more than I will ever be able to express in words. Knowing that there are others in our lives who have taken this journey, with even older kids as well!, and share their advice, stories and support is the touchstone that gets me through really hard times.

No comments: