Wednesday, July 21, 2010

No harm meant

I just want to clarify some things that were written in my blog a few days ago, because my words hurt some people - without meaning to. When I was talking about family, there was no intention to disregard or ignore my blood family - or more specifically my mom, sister & brother. To me, my connection with them doesn't need explanation, all you have to do is see us together to know we are a family. In my eyes this is the "easy" family to identify, because this is who so many see as real family. By talking about other types of family, I was simply sharing other parts of my life and my self.

I have been connected to my Tulen family for over 20 years and they are as much a part of my family as those who share my DNA. As the mother of an adopted son, I feel it's so important for him to see and understand that it's not just DNA that connects a person to his family, it's shared experiences and feelings of love. The sharing of joy, sorrow, fun, laughter, jokes, meals, training, and so much more. To me, this "other" family that I have is as connected to me as my blood family. It would be disregarding them if I didn't talk about them. And it many ways it would be devaluing my 3 year old as not "mine" if I saw family as only those who are connected to me by blood.

I hope those who felt disregarded understand that there was no low intention by my previous post, and if there are please accept my heartfelt apologies. Sometimes when I blog, actually always when I blog, it's whatever is forefront in my brain at that exact moment and usually I write it and then post it, without looking at it later.

No comments: